Jalen Carter is not pleading reckless driving and racing charges
- March 16, 2023
- No Comment
ATHENS, Ga. — Jalen Carter did not file a reckless driving and racing challenge Thursday, his attorney Kim Stephens told ESPN.
The former star Georgia defenseman and top pick for the NFL draft was sentenced to 12 months probation, a $1,000 fine and 80 hours of community service and will take a state-approved defensive driving course.
By resolving the matter, Stephens said, the state is forever barred from pursuing further charges against Carter.
“We are pleased that we were able to work with the Attorney General’s office in this case to achieve a fair and evidence-based resolution,” Stephens said. “Mr. Carter continues to mourn the loss of his friends and continues to pray for their families and for the continued healing of injured friends.”
In a statement to ESPN, Stephens said Carter did not cause a car accident on Jan. 15 that killed Georgian soccer player Devin Willock and recruiter Chandler LeCroy. Police claimed LeCroy was driving an SUV that drove Carter’s SUV in front of the wreck. According to police, LeCroy’s SUV was traveling at 104 mph when it went off the road and struck two utility poles and several trees. Police said her blood alcohol concentration was 0.197, about 2½ times the legal limit in Georgia.
“If the investigation had revealed otherwise, Mr. Carter would have been charged with the much more serious felonies of vehicular homicide and serious injury by vehicle under Georgia law, both felonies, and would have faced a lengthy prison sentence,” he said Stephen’s statement.
Stephens said Carter never left the scene of the accident without telling him he could go. According to Stephens, Carter stopped his car and ran toward the wrecked car while his passenger called 911.
“Even after being told he could go, at the request of the Athens-Clarke County Police Department, Mr. Carter returned to the scene to answer additional questions and continued to cooperate with the investigation,” Stephens said.
According to Stephens, Carter had not drunk alcohol and was not under the influence of alcohol or illegal substances.
“If there had been any suspicion that Mr. Carter was drinking or using an illegal substance when Athens-Clarke County police officers and investigators spoke to him at the scene after the accident, they would have arrested him for DUI,” Stephens wrote .
The no-contest plea came a day after Carter practiced in front of scouts and coaches from all 32 NFL teams at Georgia Pro Day. He did not speak to reporters Wednesday after missing his media session at the NFL Scouting Combine two weeks ago.
Carter, once considered a potential No. 1 pick in next month’s draft, weighed 323 pounds on the pro day — 9 pounds heavier than on the combine. He chose to only do positional exercises — which he didn’t finish — and didn’t participate in other aspects of the workout, including the 40-yard dash, kegel exercises and other physical tests.