A royal source told CNN Thursday that Andrew will not use the “His Royal Highness” style in any official capacity. The source said the decision was “widely discussed” among the royal family.
“With and with the consent of the Queen, the Duke of York’s military affiliations and royal patronage have been returned to the Queen. The Duke of York will continue to perform no public duties and advocate this cause as a private citizen,” the palace said. in the current situation.
The royal source also told CNN that “all of the Duke’s roles have been returned to the Queen with immediate effect to be redistributed to other members of the royal family. To be clear, they will not return to the Duke of York.”
On Wednesday, a New York ruling ruled against a request by Andrew’s legal team to dismiss a civil lawsuit brought against him by Virginia Joffrey, which alleges disgraced financier Jeffrey Epstein was trafficked and forced to perform sexual acts with the prince at this age. 17. Andrew vehemently denied the allegations.
The allegations against Andrew – along with his relationship with the late convict Epstein – had already tarnished the prince’s reputation. But the prospect of a public trial attracting global attention could put Andrew – the third child (and said to be the favorite son) of Queen Elizabeth II – in the unprecedented position of a senior member of the British royal family.
Aside from the days following the death of his father Prince Philip in early 2021, he has rarely appeared in public since then. He was even absent from the publicly released photos of his eldest daughter Beatrice’s wedding in 2020.
The scandal has wider implications for the royal family, which has meanwhile had to confront criticism over the Andrew case and allegations of racism from Prince Harry and Meghan, the Duchess of Sussex over the past year. Buckingham Palace later described the allegations as “disturbing”.
The case against Andrew
Joffrey says Epstein trafficked her and forced her to have sex with his friends – including the prince – while she was underage (17) in the United States. She said the attacks took place in London, New York and the US Virgin Islands. that Andrew knew she was a minor at the time; And that Epstein trafficked it.
The suit said it was seeking damages “in the amount to be determined at trial,” in addition to attorneys’ fees and other compensation “as the court deems fair and appropriate.”
Andrew’s lawyers filed a motion to dismiss the lawsuit late last year, but those efforts failed on Wednesday and they must now prepare the prince to face a New York court. He could still try to negotiate a settlement with Giuffre to avoid bringing the case to trial.
Rob Pechita of CNN contributed to this report.